Monday, September 17, 2012

I can't believe that the last entry I made on her was in Aug and here it is the middle of Sept. I had every intention of writing daily and keeping everyone informed of our daily occurrences. Obviously, I have failed miserable at that. I did manage to write quick post on FB but every time I sat down to write on here something would come up or I would just go blank as to what I should write. I can't promise that I will be better in the future because since we have gotten home things are pretty hectic and I am fast finding out that I am not nearly as good at multitasking as I once was. However, I will promise to try and write something at least weekly.

We decided to get Hannah a few days before getting the babies. My thoughts were that would give us time to learn her schedule and see what some of her likes and dislikes were. We also wanted time to have a friend of ours who spoke Russian to explain to her on a daily basis what was going on hoping that would help make her transition a little less traumatic. We thought it would give us time to take her out a little bit in public before hitting Airports, and crowded places. Looking back I feel like we made a good choice in doing that and I know it made things easier on her.

Getting her out of the institution was such a wonderful day for us but it was terrifying for her. When her care givers explained she was leaving she was so upset and crying . It broke my heart and I so desperately  wanted her to understand that where she was going was so much better and that she would be loved and valued as the perfect creation that she is. There was no way to make her understand this. All I could do was love on her and speak gently in her ear that I loved her and would not leave her. I know she didn't understand our words but I hoped my tone would comfort her. While we were waiting to leave she needed to be changed and when she returned they had given her a sedative once again. I also noticed blood on her pants and later found out that she had scratched herself until she was bleeding. She did this a couple of times once we got her home until we learned to keep long pants on her at all times. I think it was easier for them to just dope her up than to try and stop her from doing this. Since being home her wounds have healed and she is trying to do this less and less. I have slept with her every since the day we got her and bedtimes are my favorite time with her because she is so snugly and sweet.

Some of my priceless 1st memories are: Her first real laugh, the first time she kissed me back, when she leaned over to help me feed the baby a bottle, when she stood next to me by the kitchen sink and started to wash dishes with me, when she cleaned us paper off the floor and put it into a bag without me telling her, How she hold a little cloth under her chin when she drinks, the way her eyes sparkled when we took her shopping for new cloth, the first time she saw herself in the mirror with a pretty bow in her hair, how she always wants me to lotion her after her bath, how she wants me to kiss her boo-boo's and it has to be on the exact spot, and the way she snuggles in my arms when she wakes in the morning.

Things we have to work on: Pulling hair, biting, hitting, throwing things she doesn't want, undressing, scratching herself, hitting herself, learning how to play with toys, learning how to play with other children, feeling safe, knowing that I will return always!

She hates getting her picture and freaks out when we try so there aren't many from the day we got her but the one time she did smile for the camera was when we put on her new cloths. She smiled so big and looked right at the camera. "I love it".

The day we got our babies was amazing. I had pretty little matching dresses to put them in and although they would have been plenty warm I knew the Nannies would freak if I tried to leave with those babies in just a dress...LOL! It had dropped off a little so as to not upset anyone I just grabbed something warmer and brought snowsuits which we promised to put on them if we got out of the car.

We arrived in Kiev Monday evening Sept. 10th. Thankfully , after dinner and a bath everyone slept through the night. We went to the clinic and then the embassy on Tuesday, and flew home on Wednesday. The flights were long and from the time we got up until we arrived home was 27 hours. We were all exhausted but I couldn't have asked for better children. Josiah was and has continued to be an angel. He came to us the night we arrived in Kiev and said "Banna thank you so much for you and Podgie getting me my sisters" I cried. He is so precious and has been such a great help grabbing diapers, bottles, and just playing with the babies. He is still not sure about Hannah because she hits, pinches, and pulls on him, but her keeps trying and we keep talking about how she will learn to be kind. He has not one time hit her back or in anyway retaliated. I am so proud of him. The babies would eat, sleep, and cuddle, during the flight. They were perfect. Hannah did wonderful and we only had a few melt downs. When we got home John carried her upstairs to her new room. I thought she would cry or be afraid but instead she sat on the bed, looked around the room, and just smiled the biggest smile I had seen from her yet. Some how I think she knew this was home.

Since getting home it has been really hectic trying to get the house in order and everyone on some kind of schedule. Thankfully they all sleep well and through the night. I have an appointment in the morning because everyone is sick. We will be going to Indianapolis in a couple of weeks to have them all evaluated. Angel is eating great in fact we can't seem to fill her up, Hannah is rather picky but if I can get her to try something she usually likes it, little Audiya is having a hard time latching onto the nipples and I have tried so many different kinds. She can't eat baby food. None of gets in she just pushes it right out so I am a little concerned about her and will discuss this tomorrow. I would like to say that after raising 10 kids and having 10 grand kids that have this down but that would be a lie. My nerves are shot and I have to take deep breathes all through the day. I do know that it will get better and that it's going to take time for us all to settle in and get use to each other. In the mean time I love every second that I get to hold and snuggle these gifts from God and I pray that He gives me the strength and wisdom to raise them the way he intended!

I am not rereading this as I literally don't have the time so if there are lots of mistakes or a sentence doesn't make since then please forgive me. Hopefully I will be back on here this weekend to catch you up on more of our fun adventures!
Gotcha Day and the first day in our apartment!










Gotcha Day for our little Angels!





































Our flight home!






Our first day home!













Hannah's new cloths!





See ya soon!!!

16 comments:

  1. Oh my, they are all so beautiful! I loved looking at all of your pictures. How blessed they all are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are the blessed ones. :) They are precious!

      Delete
  2. Such beautiful kiddos - all three of them! I'm so glad to see such happy faces - it makes all of the hard work so worth it, doesn't it?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does. They are all doing so well and sleeping through the night which is great for me. :) I am sleeping with Hannah right now in her room. She gets really upset if she can't find me but everyday it gets better.

      Delete
  3. freddie you should be ashamed of yourself..ill pray you have a change of heart..deep down you must be hurting to lash out at someone you dont know like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there any way to block this person? He or she obviously has some serious mental issues!

      Delete
  4. Wow, Freddie, bitter much? You're obviously a very unhappy person. Please seek therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing these beautiful pictures! Hannah's smile truly is priceless, can't wait to see more :) You are all so blessed to have one another - May God continue to bless you richly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is truly a joy except maybe when she is hitting and ripping out our hair...LOL! Hopefully that will go away as she feels more safe and secure! In the meantime we just try to find some humor! :)

      I love her kisses and hugs and am so blessed that she is bonding and so open to us loving on her. She comes to us for comfort and attention which is really good. I think this kid will be fine!

      Delete
  6. Love the update! Praying fervently for you all. These first few weeks are a blur but it gets better.
    Hope you got some great information this morning at the dr.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are adorable, and Hannah grabs my heart. I hope you send the pics back to her orphanage so they can see what these kids that "can't do anything" can do with love and opportunity. Congratulations on making the world a nicer place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa and I will try to send pictures at some point. She was the first adopted from that institution and I am hoping now there will be others!

      Delete
  8. I LOVED reading your update!!! Beautiful! Look forward to seeing how each of your treasures bloom in their new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie. They are already improving and coming out of their shell. Audiya who never made a peep will now pitch a fit if you don't have her bottle ready and she has also decided that she needs attention before bed and won't go to sleep until she gets it. I love it!!

      Delete